Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Offensive Misconception.

I was reading my "wall" on Facebook this morning, and found the following quote posted by a Mormon group.
"The saints are peculiar. This is true of them both regarding their habits and their religious belief. If they are true to their faith, they cannot help being different from other peoples. Their religion requires it of them." Joseph Fielding Smith

One comment from a Facebook user was quite offensive, but I thought it should be addressed. Here is the user's comment:

"You are so different from other people. I don't know anyone who has 5 wives. None of my friends make love to their children. We have a whole system that locks up child molesters. Maybe that is why you all are scared of government."



Wow. I was speechless for a few minutes. Then I composed the following response:

"I don't know any Mormons with 5 wives. If any did, they'd be excommunicated. I also don't know any who "make love to their children." If they did, I'd be the first in line to report them to the police. Mormons believe in honoring, upholding, and sustaining the law."


Let me make this clear. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) believe in living the law of Chastity. This means no sexual relations outside of marriage, and then only with your spouse. This means no molestation. No inappropriate touching. None whatsoever!

As to the wives comment, I addressed that in my first post. Polygamy (more than one wife) was practiced in the early days of the church. Most members of the LDS church did not practice polygamy, but some did (I've read estimates from 10-30% of the church members practiced polygamy). The US Government made it illegal to practice polygamy. The LDS church fought that in court and lost. Many people went to jail. The majority of those who went to jail were already in polygamous marriages; they were not forming new marriages. In the late 1800's, the practice of polygamy was discontinued.

That was over 100 years ago!

If members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have more than one spouse, they are excommunicated. If someone claims to be part of a "Mormon Fundamentalist Group," they are not a part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon).

Whew! That was a mouthful!

No comments:

Post a Comment